Sunday, May 23, 2021

I didn't know I looked cross

This week Maggie Redding has given us a little lyric dialogue between young and old. Hope you enjoy it!

P.S. It has to be said that sometimes Weird Sisters in general do look a bit cross, but only when pondering deeply.






Why do old ladies look cross?


‘Why do old ladies look cross, Grandma?

Tell me, why do they always look grim?’

‘I didn’t know, Annabel, that I looked cross.

Is it the lines from my nose to my chin?’


‘You don’t know you look cross, Grandma?

You are old and will die before long.’

‘It isn’t the thought of dying, Annabel,

that’s the cause of the frowns to be strong.

It’s the sadness of living.

The world is all wrong

With hatred and greed

The hungry to feed

It’s been going on for so long.’


‘Is there nothing that’s good in the world?

Is it all helplessness and despair?

Please give me some hope in my life, Grandma.

Don’t tell me it’s beyond repair.

Is there something you’re forgetting?

There’s my generation to ask.

You can leave it to us.

We’ll make no fuss.

But just get on with the task.’


‘I had hoped, Annabel, to leave the world

better than when I was  born.

I feel that I’ve failed, although I have tried.

It turned out to be a false dawn.’

‘I think you see it all wrong, Grandma

Judging’s not really for you?

‘I don’t think it’s for me,

We don’t need to see

and measure the good that we do.’





Maggie Redding

January 2018 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Catching UP

We're delighted to share this generous extract from Rohase Piercy's upcoming short story collection. This one's from Catching U...