Sunday, March 28, 2021

Shade, sustenance, beauty

Today is Palm Sunday. Many thanks to Sylvia Daly for this poem, which compares a Catholic child's experience with the reality of date palms. Love it.  




 Palm Sunday




How can I trust them again?


They gave me a dry,

dead spike of a leaf,

tortured into the shape

of a cross.


My childish fingers

unfolded the sharp, tough frond.

I struggled to see

the triumph of the day,

waving my acrid spear

in jubilation.


Older and wiser, I saw a real palm tree.

Graceful fronds arched with sensuous curve,

fruit hung in pregnant bunches,

all giving shade, sustenance, beauty.


My religion had killed this vision.

Twisted the beauty to fit the wish of

foolish, clever men, who choked

the spirit with their efforts.


How can I trust them again?







Sylvia Daly


1 comment:

  1. Such a poem. Subject and words in perfect accord.. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete

Catching UP

We're delighted to share this generous extract from Rohase Piercy's upcoming short story collection. This one's from Catching U...