Friday, July 31, 2020

EXTRAORDINARY QUEER


Sylvia Daly has kindly given us permission to share this poem. You know how coming out is often a challenge, always a relief? It's all the more so in later life.


No Ordinary People


I tried for many years to fit the

mould,

in dress and thought, in action to

conform.

Coerced my mind to

function, not

be bold,

be good, obey, blend in, not cause a

storm.

The effort was consuming, sapped

my will,

to squash emotions roaring

through my heart.

But thankfully I failed to make the

kill,

I took the chance to make another

start,

from soulless clone

to

technicoloured star.

The energy, zest for life was heady,

my soul felt it was rescued from

afar

to face the world, live life, I was

ready.


Don’t settle for grey lives you

live in fear.

Break out, and be

extraordinary queer.


Sylvia Daly


No comments:

Post a Comment

Catching UP

We're delighted to share this generous extract from Rohase Piercy's upcoming short story collection. This one's from Catching U...